BEST & TOP MOST LAW COLLEGES IN INDIA
According to the official website of NBAI, there are over 30 million cases pending in Indian courts and India has 18 judges per 1 million people. If current conditions persist, it would take about 300 to 450 years to solve all pending cases. So, there is a huge demand of law staff (judges, lawyers etc.) in our country other than engineers, doctors, managers, bankers, etc. As a result, there is huge scope for career in law field.
To become a lawyer or judge and to enter in the field of legal profession, a student can opt for 3 year LLB (Bachelor of Legislative Law) course after graduation or a 5 year LLB course after 12th.
Through this article, we would discuss about various Top Law colleges of India, eligibility criteria to get admission in a Law College, skills and qualities a student must have to be a lawyer, etc. Just go through this article before taking admission in a law college.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA TO GET ADMISSION IN A LAW COLLEGE
A student must fulfill following criteria to get admission in a Law college:
- For the 3 year course, a student should have completed graduation in any stream with minimum 40% marks. For 5 year course, a student should have completed 12th in any stream (Arts, Commerce, Science or Mathematics).
- Should have cleared one of the following Law entrance examinations, like
- CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) – conducted by 18 National Law Universities (NLUs) on rotation basis
- AILET (All India Law Entrance Test) – conducted by National Law University, Delhi.
QUALITIES AND SKILLS A GOOD LAW STUDENT MUST POSSESS
Before discussing about the qualities of a good law college, let us discuss about the few qualities and skills a law student must possess to be a good lawyer or judge.
Apart from academics, a law student must possess following skills and qualities to become a good lawyer (or a judge) –
- Good Communication Skills: As a lawyer has to argue in the courtroom and has to convince all the juries and judges, a Law student must possess good written as well as oral communication skills. In addition, a law student must have good listening skills as in future he/she has to listen to the client’s problem and has to draw suitable conclusions and collect information from all the discussions.
- Analytical Skills: A good law student must possess or develop good analytical skills to analyze huge amount of information and distil that information into something manageable and logical. A good law student must develop evaluative skills to resolve between more than one reasonable conclusions (in case if there are more than one reasonable conclusions) and to choose which one is more suitable.
- People Skills: Since a lawyer has to work with the people and on behalf of people, a law student must be personable, persuasive and able to read others.
- Creativity: Apart from logical and analytical skills, a good law student should be creative and should be able to think out of the box. It is necessary to outwit your challenger and to win the case.
QUALITIES BEST & TOP MOST LAW COLLEGE SHOULD POSSESS
A student must consider following qualities for selecting a best law college after graduation. First he/she should compare various Indian management colleges by visiting their websites and gets information regarding the following points:
- Recognition by UGC: The first and foremost thing which a student must consider while selecting appropriate college is whether it is recognized by UGC (University Grant Commission) or not. Usually universities mentioned under private, deemed, state and central categories are all affiliated by UGC.
- Campus: The campus of the college is the place where a student spends most of the time. So, the campus of the college should be filled with positivity. Posters and flex displaying inspiring quotes can be put at appropriate places of the campus which inspires a student and fill a student with new energy to move towards their goal.
- Infrastructure: Classrooms should be properly ventilated. Moot courtrooms should be constructed where future lawyers can acquire and hone his/her skills of advocacy. Libraries with new and updated books should be provided so that students can acquire more and more knowledge of their field.
- Practical Approach: Since a law student has to work in courtrooms, court visits can be conducted for law students where they can watch live court sessions and can develop logical and analytical skills and can understand the rules and etiquettes that must be followed in the court.
- Up-to-date Syllabus: Since constitution is updated and new laws and regulations are created every now and then, law colleges should periodically update the syllabus of the law students so that they can get the up-to-date knowledge regarding their streams. In that way students can get better knowledge of their subjects.
- Faculties and Professors of the College: Faculties and professors of the college also play a major role in shaping the career of a student. Hence the faculties and professors of the college should be highly qualified and experienced. They should have a good experience in teaching field and practical field as well.
- Scholarships: Scholarships and support should be provided to the deserving candidates.
- Placements and Internships: As told earlier practical knowledge is more important than theoretical concepts, proper internships should be provided to the students so that they can get the proper work experience for their future. Proper placements to the students should be provided which is the ultimate dream of every law student.
- Mess and Hostels: Although Mess and Hostels are not a major deciding factor for the selection of a college but since a student has to spend about 2 years with a college, he/she should consider that also. As sound mind rests in sound body, the quality of food provided in the college mess should be up to the mark (it is important if the student is residing in the college hostel away from his home) and the rooms of the hostel should also be well maintained and furnished. The hostel should have a calm and healthy environment which encourages a student to perform well in their academics.
In addition, events and fests should be organized through which the students can refresh themselves from the monotonousness of studies and can discover their hidden talents. Regular moot court competitions, debates, public speaking competitions can be organized through which a student can develop their analytical, logical and communication skills as well. Thus a management college should consider all the above points in addition to their own efforts to provide best service to the students.
Top 25 Law Colleges of India
1 NLSIU G Bangalore
2 The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences G Kolkata
3 Gujarat National Law University G Gandhinagar
4 ILS Law College P Pune
5 Bharathi Vidyapeeth Deemed University New Law College P Pune
6 Faculty of Law (Jamia Millia Islamia) G Delhi
7 Hidayatullah National Law University G Raipur
8 Faculty of Law, BHU G Varanasi
9 Symbiosis Law School Pune P Pune
10 PG College of Law, Osmania University G Hyderabad
11 Institute of Law, Nirma University P Ahmedabad
12 MS Ramaiah College of Law P Bangalore
13 Amity Law School P Delhi
14 School Of Law (KIIT*) P Bhubaneswar
15 Government Law College G Mumbai
16 Army Institute Of Law P Mohali
17 CMR Law School P Bangalore
18 Amity Law School P Noida
19 IMS Law College G Noida
20 SDM Law College P Mangalore
21 National Law University G Cuttack
22 Manikchand Pahade Law College P Aurangabad
23 Institute Of Legal Studies* P Bangalore
24 K.L.E. Society’s Law College P Bangalore
25 School Of Law, IMS Unison University P Dehradun
Rankings Source : Outlook India