Best & Top Most Engineering Colleges in India
In today’s world of technologies and inventions, everyone wants to learn and be in touch with new technologies, methodologies and processes. To get in-depth knowledge of new technologies and methodologies, whether in the field of computer science or mechanical or in electrical/electronics, students have to opt for engineering. To be an engineer, students have to take admission in engineering colleges and devote 4 years studying and completing their assignments and projects. What if a student’s dream engineering college is not as per his/her expectations? What if a student doesn’t possess desired skills or qualities to be an engineer? Definitely his/her life would be in vain.
Today, through this article, we would discuss the answers about how to select the best engineering colleges in India, what criteria should a student consider while getting admissions in an engineering colleges, what skills and qualities should a student bear to become an engineer, etc. So before getting admission in an engineering college, just go through this article.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA A STUDENT MUST MEET TO GET ADMISSION IN AN ENGINEERING COLLEGE
A student must meet following criteria to get admission in the engineering college:
- Should have opted for Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as major subjects in class 11th and 12th.
- Should have a minimum of 60% marks in class 12th with the above subjects as major. Cut off marks differ from college to college.
- Should have cleared the engineering entrance exams like JEE Mains (to get admissions in NITs, IIITs, IIITMs, IIITDMs, State Government/Central Government funded institutions and various self financed universities and institutions) and JEE Advanced (to get admissions in IITs). A student is eligible to appear for JEE Advanced only if he/she has cleared JEE Mains exam.
- If a student has not appeared in any of the above exams, or has not cleared any of the above exams he/she can appear for the engineering entrance exams conducted separately by different universities like BITSAT (for admission in BITS Pilani, BITS Goa and BITS Hyderabad), VITEEE (for admission in Vellore Institute of Technology), KIITEE (for admission in Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology), etc.
- A student can also appear for engineering entrance exams conducted jointly by a particular state like WBJEE (for admission in various engineering colleges of West Bengal), MHTCET (for admission in various engineering colleges of Maharashtra), UPSEE (for admission in various engineering colleges of Uttar Pradesh), etc.
QUALITIES A GOOD ENGINEERING STUDENT MUST HAVE
Engineering is not just about going through books and passing the exams. Engineering requires more than that. In addition to the academic performance, a student should have some additional skills and qualities to become a successful engineer. Let us discuss about a few of them:
- Be Creative: As engineering is all about technologies and innovations, an engineering student should be creative. He/she should have creative and innovative ways for solving a particular problem.
- Good Mathematical Skills: As engineering is a science which requires solving complex calculations of varying difficulties, a good engineering student should have excellent mathematical skills.
- Be a Team Player: A good engineering student should understand that they have to be a part of a large team working together to make a successful project, so he/she must work well as the part of a team.
- Should have Excellent Communication Skills: Since an engineer has to deal with the non-technical clients, he/she should have excellent communication skills to translate complex technical linguistics into simple English so that the clients can understand their projects and the work which is being carried out.
- Rely on Ethics: A good engineering student should always rely on ethics and should not use his/her knowledge and technology for the deterioration of the society.
- Willingness to Learn: Since new technologies arrive every now and then, a good engineering student should have a willingness to learn new technologies and methodologies and should stay up-to-date with the newly arriving technologies.
- Leadership Skills: Many times, an engineer has to take the lead of the project and has to complete the project under his leadership. So for that, an engineering student must possess good leadership skills and must nurture it during the college days.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTING BEST ENGINEERING COLLEGE
A student must consider following criteria for selecting a best engineering college. First he/she should make a comparative analytical report of the various Indian engineering colleges by visiting their websites and gets information regarding the following points:
- Recognition by UGC: Firstly, while selecting an appropriate college, a student must check whether the university is recognized by UGC or not. Usually universities mentioned under private, deemed, state and central categories are all affiliated by UGC.
- Campus: The campus of the academy is the house where an undergraduate spends most of the time. The surroundings and environment furthermore affects a portion in nurturing the dreams of a student. So, the campus of the academy should be filled with positivity. Posters and flex displaying inspiring quotes can be issue at adequate places of the campus which inspires a first-year undergraduate and feed a student with new desire to urge towards their goal. It is necessary because it takes roughly 4-6 years for a learner to become an engineer. At times a student may get de-motivated by some failures. In such times, these quotes play a major role.
- Infrastructure: Classrooms should be properly ventilated. Workshops and computer labs should be well equipped which provides an appropriate learning environment for the students.
- Practical approach: As engineering is all about methodologies and process, an engineering college should provide appropriate practical knowledge to demonstrate the theoretical concepts
- Up-to-date syllabus: Since new technologies and methodologies are discovered every now and then, engineering colleges should periodically update the syllabus of the engineering students so that they can get the up-to-date knowledge regarding their streams. Students should be cheered to do research and innovations in their field and subjects especially around their specialization course. In that manner students can earn better knowledge of their subjects.
- Faculties and Professors of the college: Faculties and professors of the academy also play a major role in shaping the life of a student. Hence the faculties and professors of the academy should be highly efficient and experienced. They should have a valuable experience in teaching field and practical work as well.
- Placements and internships: As told already practical development is more important than hypothetical concepts, significant internships should be provided to the students so that they can earn the proper employment experience for their future. Proper placements to the students should be provided which is the ultimate feast for the eye of individually every engineering student.
- Mess and Hostels: Although Mess and Hostels are not a major making up one’s mind factor for the selection of a academy but as a learner has to devote 4-6 years with a academy, he/she should concern that also. As sound mind rests in sound body, the quality of cuisine provided in the college mess should be up to the mark (it is significant if the learner is residing in the college hostel away from his home) and the rooms of the hostel should furthermore be well maintained and furnished. The hostel should have a calm and pleasant environment which encourages a student to perform well in their academics.
In addition, events and fests should be organized through which the students can refresh themselves from the monotonousness of studies and can discover their hidden talents. Thus an engineering college should consider all the above points in addition to their own efforts to provide best service to the students. After all engineering colleges are the ladder to someone’s dreams.
Top 100 Engineering Colleges in India
G : Gvt
1 IIT, Delhi G Delhi
2 IIT, Bombay G Mumbai
3 IIT, Kharagpur G Kharagpur
4 IIT, Kanpur G Kanpur
5 Birla Institute Of Technology & Science P Pilani
6 NIT, Karnataka G Mangalore
7 College Of Engineering, Guindy G Chennai
8 Netaji Subhas Institute Of Technology* G New Delhi
9 VIT University P Vellore
10 College Of Engineering, Pune G Pune
11 IIIT, Hyderabad P Hyderabad
12 IIIT, Allahabad G Allahabad
13 Indian Institute Of Technology (Indian School Of Mines), Dhanbad G Dhanbad
14 Delhi Technological University G New-Delhi
15 Manipal Institue Of Technology P Manipal
16 University Institute Of Engineering, Chandigarh University P Chandigarh
17 PSG College of Technology P Coimbatore
18 Visvesvaraya National Institute Of Technology G Nagpur
19 Thapar University P Patiala
20 M.S. Ramaiah Institute Of Technology P Bangalore
21 Birla Institute Of Technology P Ranchi
22 The National Institute Of Engineering G Mysore
23 University College Of Engineering G Hyderabad
24 Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering P Kalavakkam
25 B.I.T. Sindri G Dhanbad
26 Institute Of Technology P Ahmedabad
27 SRM Engineering College P Chennai
28 Government College Of Engineering G Amravati
29 SVKM’s NMIMS-Mukesh Patel School Of Technology Management & Engineering P Mumbai
30 Mepco Schlenk Engineering College P Sivakasi
31 Thiagarajar College Of Engineering G Madurai
32 Chaitanya Bharathi Institute Of Technology P Hyderabad
33 Dwarkadas J. Sanghvi College Of Engineering P Mumbai
34 Rungta College Of Engineering And Technology P Bhilai
35 Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College G Ludhiana
36 Zakir Husain College Of Engineering & Technology, Aligarh G Aligarh
37 Govt. Model Engineering College G Cochin
38 MIT College Of Engineering P Pune
39 PES University P Bangalore
40 KLE Dr M.S Sheshgiri College Of Engineering And Technology P Belgaum
41 Bannari Amman Institute Of Technology P Erode
42 Symbiosis Institute Of Technology P Pune
43 BMS Institute Of Technology & Management P Bangalore
44 BMS College Of Engineering P Bangalore
45 Bharati Vidyapeeth University College Of Engineering P Pune
46 Jawaharlal Nehru National College Of Engineering P Shimoga
47 K L University P Guntur
48 Galgotias College Of Engineering And Technology P Noida
49 Shri Ramdeobaba College Of Engineering And Management P Nagpur
50 Sri Sairam Engineering College P Chennai
51 Cummins College of Engineering for Women P Pune
52 Faculty Of Engineering, DIT University P Dehradun
53 Sanjivani Rural Education Society’s College Of Engineering P Ahmednagar
54 SDM College Of Engineering & Technology P Dharwad
55 Pimpri Chinchwad College Of Engineering P Pune
56 M V J College Of Engineering P Bangalore
57 Sir M Visvesvaraya Institute Of Technology P Bangalore
58 The Northcap University P Gurgaon
59 Rajagiri School Of Engineering & Technology P Ernakulam
60 Indraprastha Institute Of Information Technology Delhi G New Delhi
61 National Institute Of Science & Technology P Berhampur
62 Muffakham Jah College Of Engineering And Technology P Hyderabad
63 JSS Academy Of Technical Education P Bangalore
64 Army Institute Of Technology P Pune
65 Amity School Of Engineering & Technology P Noida
66 Lovely Professional University P Phagwara
67 JIS College Of Engineering P Kalyani, West Bengal
68 IMS Engineering College P Ghaziabad
69 P.E.S. College Of Engineering G Mandya
70 Lakshmi Narain College Of Technology P Bhopal
71 Sikkim Manipal Institute Of Technology P Sikkim
72 Ganeshi Lal Bajaj Institute Of Technology & Management P Noida
73 SCMS School Of Engineering & Technology P Ernakulam
74 Kongu Engineering College P Erode
75 K.S.R. College Of Enginnering P Thiruchengode
76 Maharashtra Institute Of Technology P Aurangabad
77 Sri Sairam College of Engineering P Bangalore
78 J.B. Institute Of Technology P Dehradun
79 Jaipur Engineering College And Research Center P Jaipur
80 R.M.K. Engineering College P Kavaripettai
81 S.A. Engineering College P Chennai
82 University Institute Of Engineering & Technology, Panjab University P Chandigarh
83 Kuppam Engineering College P Kuppam
84 Asia Pacific Institute of Information Technology (APIIT SD) P Panipat
85 Malla Reddy College of Engineering & Technology P Secunderabd
86 CVR College Of Engineering P Hyderabad
87 Veltech High Tech Dr .Rangarajan Dr. Sakunthala Engineering College P Chennai
88 Vishwakarma Institute of Technology P Pune
89 M.S. Engineering College P Bangalore
90 R.M.D. Engineering College P Thiruvallur
91 Rajarambapu Institute Of Technology P Sangli
92 Shri Vishnu Engineering College For Women P Bhimavaram
93 Government College Of Engineering G Karad
94 Institute Of Engineering & Technology, J.K.Lakshmipat University P Jaipur
95 Shri Shankaracharya Technical Campus Bhilai P Bhilai
96 IES College Of Technology P Bhopal
97 Madhav Institute of Technology & Science G Gwalior
98 KIET Group Of Institutions P Ghaziabad
99 BRACT’S Vishwakarma Institute of Information Technology P Pune
100 KLS Gogte Institute Of Technology P Belagavi
- Colleges that submitted complete objective data were ranked. NSIT Delhi, which wanted to participate, but could not submit their figures, is ranked on latest available data;
- 2. Govt-aided private institutions have been marked as private;
- 3. Only institutions offering BE/BTech courses (approved/affiliated) and a minimum of three passed-out batches by 2017 have been ranked;
- 4. It may be noted that the arithmetic total of the figures may not match with the total figure due to rounding-off;
- 5. NR: Not Ranked.
Rank Source : Outlook India