How to Select Best Colleges in India?
If we talk about higher learning- the Indian universities are classified into following categories.
- Central Universities or Union Universities: constituted as per the parliamentary act. These universities are controlled by the Union Government.
- Deemed university: they exist by their own.
- State universities: these universities are under the control of state governments.
- Technical Forums and Agricultural Universities: imparting technical knowledge and vocational training.
- Private Universities: Private universities are approved by UGC (University Grant Commission). They aren’t eligible to have colleges under their purview.
How to Find the Best Colleges in India?
Mentioned beneath are few fundamental points which you need to consider while selecting best colleges in India.
- Observe for yourself: Firstly, generate a comparative analytical report of various Indian colleges. Visit their websites to get information regarding their infrastructure, examination details and management.
- Performance quality: This is one of the most important factors which is considered on priority in terms of knowledge. In order to get the exact picture, their respective website and print media will help you.
- Situational details: The Location is another factor because you’ll make plans for various means of communication for your chosen college accordingly.
- Evaluation Method: Check whether examinations are taken on a regular basis or not. Whether political activism ruins the evaluation method or not.
Things which must be taken into account while selecting best colleges in India for pursuing graduate and post-graduate course.
- Admission Criteria
- Facilities for financial aids and scholarship
- Seat reservation criteria.
- Relevant domestic amenities.
- College relevance in terms of International context
Pragmatics and judicious ways while selecting best colleges in India
- It is best to go with that college where you can get the benefits related to reservation and scholarship.
- For average category students, it is beneficial to go for higher education from the college which belongs to their state.
- If you’re graduated from a specific college, try to enroll yourself in the university which is affiliated with your college.
- However, if you’re eligible and interested in the specialized study, it is best to seek the environment of various inter colleges.
- In case you’re meritorious student and you’ve multiple choices; do think about the grading and ranking pattern.
- Also, avoid provinces or states which are lagging in literacy. Choose those states which are advanced in literacy point of view and you can grow with the technological development.
Points that should be considered while selecting management and technical colleges for higher studies and degree courses:
- It is very important to take into account the grading pattern. This is because there are categories for different modes which distinguish them from one another.
- Whether the grading pattern is according to their standards.
- If you are interested in courses like filmmaking, dancing, sculpting, agriculture etc then try to select the college which caters your needs.
- Choice plays an important role while selecting best colleges in India. You have to select — the college, its stream, and location very carefully.
- Let’s say, if one is getting the call from NITs and IITs then he/she have to make a decision, whether the NIT or IIT.
- Assuming you approach for IITs. Now next question comes, which IIT. Let’s suppose you go to IIT Mumbai, and again next question flips, which stream.
- At this point, you have to analyze your goals and strengths. Map your goals and strengths accordingly.
- Thoroughly perform the market survey to check the demand of the particular stream. Then go with the one which will help you in achieving your desired goals.
Background research is also a part of good decision making. It is advised to do research on following points while choosing best Colleges in India:
- College: Have a look on the status of the particular stream like engineering, management etc in that college, have knowledge of the faculty members, placement opportunities, brand positioning, etc. Also, know about the various extra-curricular activities performed in that college.
- Location: You need to look at the distance from home. Cultural issues, language, eating habits, socio-economic conditions, environmental parameters, and political situations are some of the parameters that you need to take into account.
- Family background: If you are thinking to go for a business, the background of the family should also be considered.
- Stream: Check how a particular stream relates to the candidate’s goals, personality, and aptitude. The future, as well as present market demands of the stream, should also be investigated.
- Competing scenarios: You will find a number of competing scenarios when you’re involved in the decision-making process. What you need to do is to create the list of pros & cons regarding the competing scenarios and take the final decision accordingly.
Information sources may be; college website, admission prospectus, different educational sites, your teachers, relatives and friend circle, etc. It is always better to collect information from different sources, from well-wishers and if you think collected data has conflicting information then you can make a call to them.
The categorization of universities or colleges and its ranking is entirely based on standardized methods. A number of yardsticks are taken into account in order to rate universities/colleges based on their strength and merits. There are internationalized and nationally significant rating standards. Rating is, in general, directly related to the university’s qualitative output. Therefore, it is the most important factor when it comes to select the best colleges in India.
In general, colleges are rated as per the following standards. According to these standards, colleges are given the grade or ‘star’ rating in categories like A, A+ etc.
- Teaching Quality
- Facilities and scope for research
- Infrastructural facilities
- Employability facilities
- Utilization of innovative ideas in terms of imparting knowledge
- Specialization scope
- International relevance
- Community development and their role
Accreditation and Recognition of Colleges by UGC in India
Indian colleges and universities are recognized by UGC (or University Grant Commission). Usually, universities mentioned under private, deemed, state and central categories are all affiliated by UGC. And this is the most important factor every must consider while selecting best colleges in India.
Accreditation is also given by a variety of professional councils- Quite a few professional and technical councils are also there. They serve to manage and sanction the functioning of various technical colleges. For example, colleges which deal with agricultural study must have the recognition of Indian Council Of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
MUST READ :